I have been craving sweets lately so this weekend when my sisters and I decided to have Channkuah dinner together, we opted to change it up a bit and have them take my usual role of preparing the main dish while I handled dessert. With endless Holiday parties on the horizon, I headed straight to my favorite cookie book Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alie Medrich and chose the Vanilla Sugar Cookies recipe – because who doesn’t love a classic sugar cookie in December?! I then bought some festive cookie cutters so I could make an assortment of shapes.
Whether you are planning on attending a Channukah Party (choose driedels and menorahs), Christmas Party (choose ornaments and Christmas trees) or simply want to spread equal opportunity Holiday Cheer (choose snowflakes with happy colored sprinkles), these are the perfect treat!!
Vanilla Sugar Cookies Ingredients:
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- sprinkles (optional)
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and mix together with a whisk.
- Beat the butter and sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy (3-4 minutes). Beat in the eggs and vanilla. On low speed, beat in the flour until incorporated. Place the dough in a large ziplock and refrigerate a few hours (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean counter top and rolling pin. Lay out your dough and begin rolling out until smooth and flat. Take cookie cutters and cut cookie shapes (try to make them as close together as possible as to not waste the dough.)
- Spray cooking sheet with Pam and place cookies onto sheet approximately 1 1/2 inches apart. Add sprinkles. Bake 8 to 10 minutes (keeping an eye on them!! If the edges look done but the cookies still look light in the middle, transfer to a lower shelf in the oven)
- Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool on sheet for 2 minutes before removing. Serve!
And if these sugar cookies didn’t fulfill your sweet tooth, Snow Sugar has a whole line of adorable “snow bunny-esque” items that will keep your sugar high running this winter season – from their comfy and cozy Hug Scarves (great $50 holiday gift) to their bubblegum pink jackets! These are a must for any girly girls on your holiday list!